A good friend is hard to find.
I once thought I had a lot of good friends, but Honey-child let yourself get caught up in the gossip ring and your friends run like cockroaches when the lights are turned on in the kitchen!
Having a tough season in life is bad, but the lessons & growth that we’ve experienced through it all has been priceless!
- Don’t be a crowd pleaser!
I have always been a people pleaser, but, God has broken me of that now. It is apparent by the lack of close friends, in my life. Going with the crowd and tickling ears makes You WEAK! Makes you lose FOCUS! Paul wasn’t liked very well either… why?.. he spoke the hard truth and he had scripture to back himself up! He was blunt.. he called people fools! Gotta love Paul!
For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ! (Galatians 1:10)
To be obedient and pleasing to God is far greater than anything or any friend you will ever know on this earth!
2. Be a better friend!
I’m guilty! I will be the first to admit it! But, through this trial we’ve learned how to recognize a true friend and how to be a better one ourselves!
The Bible says that Jonathan and Davids’ hearts were knit together!(1 Sam. 18:1-8)
David was running from his besties’ daddy! True story! But NEVER ONCE, do you read of Jonathan’s disappearance in David’s life! Instead, he gave him his armor! WOW! What a friend! Are YOU that type of friend? I’m sure David was in the gossip ring.. as a matter of fact it was the gossip ring that made Sauls anger burn!!! “David’s killed tens of thousands to King Saul” Where was David? By his friends side! Believe that!
I recently listened to a sermon by Dr. Charles Stanley. He gives 11 Building blocks of friendships that are crucial! They are the characteristics of a genuine friend. Here’s what a friend does..
- They delight in us and they are a joy to be around.
- They develop us, encouraging us in our faith. They help us to become better than what we are!
- They drive us, they push us to jump out of our comfort zones.
- TIME- here’s one we all struggle with! Be available!
- Triumphs, share those victories in life! You rejoice in what they are accomplishing!! When your friend has done something you Facebook and Instagram it! Buddy you let the whole world know how proud you are of them more importantly you let that friend know it! If you don’t.. then you’re just a jealous Nenny!
- Trials, be there …during trials!! We all have them, don’t be an ostrich with you head in the sand! Remember, one day you will have a trial… where do you want your bff to be???? “Geniune friendships aren’t built on when everything is going right!“
- Have a thankful heart❤️ and be loyal. This friend you can call anytime & tell them anything and you are so thankful you have a friend like that!
- Be thoughtful! Little cards, texts, an invite over for dinner! “Thoughtfulness comes from the inside”
- Tolerance. Be willing to forgive and be patient.. but don’t be a doormat! A person saying they’re sorry… fixes the problem or action! Remember that!
- Transparency. Don’t hide things about yourself! Be real.. People. Dang! That’s were God gets the Glory …is in fixing your mess of a life! Amen?!
- Truthfulness. “If a person isn’t truthful you can’t have a friendship!” That means in all things you speak the truth in love! ❤️ Then you hang around them, you don’t coward and run away! Hearing hard truth is … well.. hard! Why would you share it …then abandon someone. Check on that person. Pray with them, let them know you care!!!!!
In closing I will say this.. it all starts with YOU! I’m thankful that God used Dr. Charles Stanley and this article below to HELP me become a better friend and to recognize true friendship when I see it!